IAB Safety Office
The IAB safety officer provides technical advice and services related to environmental health, regulatory, and related safety concerns for institute faculty, staff, and students in coordination with the UAF Fire Marshal and UAF Environmental Health, Safety, and Risk Management. The safety officer also coordinates training in field safety and hazardous materials handling, storage, and disposal. Services are provided to ensure compliance with applicable regulations while not impeding research and teaching activities.New hours September 2014: 7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. (1.5-hr mid-day break)
Important IAB Safety Lists
- The key shop at Facilities Services has changed the procedure for key issue across campus. Key slips will still be issued by departments, but the keys must now be picked up by the key holder and the key slip signed upon receipt.
- Please be advised that IAB will no longer accept building/lab/office keys for return to the Facilities Services Key Shop. If you are leaving UAF or turning in keys to a room you no longer need to access, please take them directly to the Key Shop at 803 Alumni Drive.
- Please be advised that newly requested access to IAB research labs via key and/or Polar Express card will be authorized upon completion of required lab-specific trainings (Lab Safety and Intro to Hazardous Waste Management).
- All required safety training must be completed upon hire. For questions about the training and access to the Intelex database, please visit http://www.uaf.edu/safety/training/ or call x5455.
(Please fill out the Field Travel Plan Form before you leave.)
- General Field Safety Class - please contact Mike Abels (x5063)
- Driver's Safety Class (anyone who needs to drive a University vehicle must take this class) - contact Environmental Health, Safety, and Risk Management (EHS&RM) (x5413)
- First Aid and CPR - contact Environmental Health, Safety, and Risk Management (EHS&RM) (x5413) or Red Cross (456-5937)
- Bear Safety and Firearms Use Class - contact Joe Nava (479-2340)
- Boating Classes - contact Coast Guard Auxiliary - Brian Marsh (488-3045) or Mike Robinson (457-2831)
- Aviation Classes - office of Aircraft Services - Penelope Noeker (474-7411) or Mike Vivian (456-0429)
(Please fill out and contact Jami Warrick, x5455, after the list is complete)
UAF Environmental Health, Safety and Risk Management has developed a safety training program containing 5 training modules that are now required for all UAF employees. These training modules include:
- Emergency Action Plan (Department/Building Specific)
- Employee Safety Orientation
- Hazard Communication GHS
- Office Safety (general)
- Slips, Trips and Falls
All persons working in a laboratory are also required to complete (at a minimum) the Laboratory Safety Training, Introduction to Hazardous Waste Management, and the Chemical Hygiene Plan training. Specific job duties may require further training.
All required training can be accessed at http://www.uaf.edu/safety/training/required-training/.
The Department Emergency Action Plans (DEAP) are building-specific. The plans for IAB faculty, staff, and students are located under the "Dept EAPs" tab. Read through the plan for each building in which you work. The associated quizzes can be taken here .
- Arctic Health Research Building Emergency Action Plan
- Irving I Emergency Action Plan
- Murie Building Emergency Action Plan
- West Ridge Research Building Emergency Action Plan
- IAB Greenhouse Emergency Action Plan
Read through the plan for each building in which you work. Please take the IAB Department Emergency Action Plan quizzes here.
UAF Environmental Health, Safety, and Risk Management
- EHS&RM Index of Services
- UAF Safety Training
- UAF Laboratory Safety
- UA Transportation Safety Guide
- EHSRM - Forms
Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA)
- Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR)
- Do you know if you're shipping hazardous materials? Find out here .
Upcoming Trainings & Workshops
- Nothing scheduled at this time.