IAB Safety Office
The IAB safety officer provides technical advice and services related to environmental health, regulatory, and related safety concerns for institute faculty, staff, and students in coordination with the UAF Fire Marshal and UAF Environmental Health, Safety, and Risk Management. The safety officer also coordinates training in field safety and hazardous materials handling, storage, and disposal. Services are provided to ensure compliance with applicable regulations while not impeding research and teaching activities.
Important IAB Safety Lists
- The key shop at Facilities Services has changed the procedure for key issue across campus. Key slips will still be issued by departments, but the keys must now be picked up by the key holder and the key slip signed upon receipt.
Please be advised that newly requested access to IAB research labs via key and/or Polar Express card will be authorized upon completion of required lab-specific trainings (Lab Safety and Intro to Hazardous Waste Management).
(Please fill out the Field Travel Plan Form before you leave.)
- General Field Safety Class - please contact Mike Abels (x5063)
- Driver's Safety Class (anyone who needs to drive a University vehicle must take this class) - contact Environmental Health, Safety, and Risk Management (EHS&RM) (x5413)
- First Aid and CPR - contact Environmental Health, Safety, and Risk Management (EHS&RM) (x5413) or Red Cross (456-5937)
- Bear Safety and Firearms Use Class - contact Joe Nava (479-2340)
- Boating Classes - contact Coast Guard Auxiliary - Brian Marsh (488-3045) or Mike Robinson (457-2831)
- Aviation Classes - office of Aircraft Services - Penelope Noeker (474-7411) or Mike Vivian (456-0429)
(Please fill out and contact Jami Warrick, x5455, after the list is complete)
UAF Environmental Health, Safety and Risk Management has developed a safety training program containing 10 training modules that are now required for all UAF employees. These trainings include:
- Back Injury Prevention --SkillSoft SAH404
- Electrical Safety --SkillSoft SAH0419
- Emergency Action Plan (Department Specific)
- Ergonomics --SkillSoft SAH0424
- Employee Safety Orientation (UAF Safety Training PowerPoint)
- Hazard Communication (UAF Safety Training PowerPoint)
- Materials Handling (UAF Safety Training PowerPoint)
- Office Safety (general) -- SkillSoft SAH0458
- Signs and Tags-Accident/Injuries Prevention--SkillSoft SAH0476
- Slips, Trips and Falls--SkillSoft SAH0479
All persons working in a laboratory are also required to complete (at a minimum) the Laboratory Safety Training and Intro to Hazardous Waste Management. Specific job duties may require further training.
The three UAF website trainings are located at http://www.uaf.edu/safety/training.
To sign up for the SkillSoft trainings, first log into your UAOnline account, and access them through the E-learning link.
UAF Environmental Health, Safety, and Risk Management
- EHS&RM Index of Services
- UAF Safety Training
- UAF Laboratory Safety
- UA Transportation Safety Guide
Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA)
- Guide for Preparing Shipping Papers (pdf)
- Hazardous Materials Safety Brochure (pdf)
- Emergency Response Guidebook
- Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR)
Upcoming Trainings & Workshops
- Nothing scheduled at this time.