IAB Travel Office
The IAB Travel Office provides assistance with travel forms, airline reservations, expense reports, car rentals, per diem, travel insurance, and reimbursements.
***New Office Hours*** Beginning May 28, 2013
7:30 AM - 3:30 PM, Tuesday - Friday
If you need immediate assistance on Mondays, please contact Holly Neumeyer at X7661 or email@example.com.
Interested in a UAF Travel Card?
If traveling is a part of your job at the University, you may consider the Individual Travel Card. The University offers a travel card (Mastercard) for employees to use to pay their hotel, meal, car, taxi and other miscellaneous expenses required during their work related travel. This card program is designed for business expenses only. You pay your travel expenses with the card, complete your expense report upon return, get reimbursed and pay your bill.
To apply go to:
Complete the form online, give the completed form to your fiscal officer to approve and submit the form to Procurement and Contract Services for processing at firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com or fax to 474-7720.
Travel Authorization Form (TA): As soon as you know you are going to travel, complete a TA form and submit to Sonnary (312 A Irving I). Please be sure to obtain your supervisor/PI's signature verifying approval and provide the Fund/Orgn to charge the travel. Only items that have been authorized on the TA will be reimbursed.
- Top left portion of TA Form Fill in your complete name (not nickname). Use your UAF ID number, not your SSN. Write the address where the reimbursement check should be sent. Include personal dates if applicable. If attending a meeting, conference, or workshop, attach a copy of the agenda and meeting information.
- Estimated Costs portion of TA Form
- Do not purchase airline / hotel reservations prior to TA approval.
- Airline travel must comply with the Fly America Act, which requires the use of U.S. airlines when entering and exiting the U.S. when federal dollars are used.
- List estimated transportation costs. When planning travel, use the most economical arrangements that comply with Federal Travel Guidelines.
- If Personal time will be taken during a business trip, you MUST attach a comparative itinerary for the Business Only travel dates and costs.
- Attach the Comparative and Conference Agendas to the TA.
- Lodging & Meals: Write the number of days and costs per day, using the standard lodging and per diem rates listed here. If the lodging is greater than 1.5 times the standard (per diem) rate, you MUST have approval from the Director prior to making arrangements.
- Car Rental: List estimated cost. UAF is self-insured, so additional insurance (collision damage waiver) will not be reimbursed. Return rental car with a full gas tank to receive reimbursement for gasoline. Car rentals should be no larger than mid-size without a business justification.
- Other: Use for estimated ground transportation costs (taxi, bus, train, etc.), registration, visa costs, etc.
- Sign, date, and turn in the TA and attachments to the administrative person in your department.
- When the TA is approved, you will be notified and/or given a copy. You can then proceed with your travel arrangements.
After your travel is complete, see Sonnary at the contact information listed above.
Travel Expense Report Form (TER): Complete and sign the TER by "Traveler's Signature". Submit no later than 15 business days after travel is completed. Download a sample TER (Excel file) and an accompanying instruction page (pdf file).
- Original receipts: Attach airline boarding passes, airline passenger receipt, itinerary (showing payment), itemized hotel receipt, car rental, ground transportation, and any other applicable receipts, regardless of amount.
- Non-reimbursable items: Items such as personal phone calls, laundry/dry cleaning, tips, and hotel movies are not reimbursable. More information is available at the UAF Travel Office website.
- Airline change fees: Change fees will only be reimbursed if itinerary changes are required for a work-related reason. Include a written justification with the Travel Expense Report.
- Per Diem: Indicate dates and meals provided at meetings, workshops or conferences. Per Diem will be reduced when registration fees include meals at meetings.
- Mileage: A Car Mileage form must be completed if requesting mileage payment. The form is available at the UAF Travel Office website.
Accounting and Fiscal Reporting: (UA Travel and Relocation Regulation R05.02.06, Part V - Finance and Business Management, Chapter II).
- (5) The Travel Expense Report should be filed with the campus business or travel office within 15 days of completion of travel.
- (2) No payment will be made for reimbursements requested more than 90 days after the due date of the expense report, unless approved by the Travel Administrator.
- (8) Advances in excess of reimbursable expenses must be repaid at the time of submittal of the travel expense report.
- (9) Uncleared advances may be deducted from an employee's pay, if an expense report is not submitted or amounts due to the university on an expense report are not paid within 30 days of the traveler's return.
- Travel Authorization (TA) forms must be turned in at least three (3) days prior to travel, earlier is recommended.
- It is the traveler's responsibility to make sure the TA form is submitted with the appropriate signatures. Incomplete TA forms will be returned via inter-campus mail or faxed to outlying areas.
- A supervisor or appropriate project PI must sign student and staff TA forms.
- Faculty TA forms must be signed by the Unit Director.
- Director TA forms must be signed by the Dean.
- TA forms for out-of-state and international travel must be signed by the Director.
- TA forms turned in less than three (3) days prior to travel must be accompanied by a memo, through the Director, to the UAF Traveler Coordinator. The memo should request travel authorization, give explanation for the late TA, and must be signed by the traveler and their supervisor.
- Late TA forms and associated expense reports will be processed once per month. Expect 4-6 week additional wait for these reimbursements.
- Expense reports should be turned in within 10 days of returning from travel.
- Original receipts must accompany expense reports. Boarding passes are required for all air ticket reimbursements.
- Incomplete expense reports will be returned via inter-campus mail or held until all receipts are received.
- The supervisor who signed the original TA form or an appropriate representative must sign expense reports exceeding estimated expenses submitted on the TA.