IAB Safety Office
The IAB safety officer provides technical advice and services related to environmental health, regulatory, and related safety concerns for institute faculty, staff, and students in coordination with the UAF Fire Marshal and UAF Environmental Health, Safety, and Risk Management. The safety officer also coordinates training in field safety and hazardous materials handling, storage, and disposal. Services are provided to ensure compliance with applicable regulations while not impeding research and teaching activities.Effective April 1, 2016: IAB safety contact is Jeanette Moore
Important IAB Safety Lists
- Origami, a new online incident reporting system, is now active here via the EHSRM site. This new system allows for fast reporting and response related to employee injuries, as well as reports of unsafe conditions, damaged property, and damaged vehicles.
- The key shop at Facilities Services has changed the procedure for key issue across campus. Key slips will still be issued by departments, but the keys must now be picked up by the key holder and the key slip signed upon receipt.
- Please be advised that IAB will no longer accept building/lab/office keys for return to the Facilities Services Key Shop. If you are leaving UAF or turning in keys to a room you no longer need to access, please take them directly to the Key Shop at 803 Alumni Drive.
- Please be advised that newly requested access to IAB research labs via key and/or Polar Express card will be authorized upon completion of required lab-specific trainings (UAF Laboratory Safety, UAF Hazardous Waste Management, and UAF Chemical Hygiene).
- All required safety training must be completed upon hire. For questions about the training requirements and access, please visit http://www.uaf.edu/safety/training/ or call x5455.
(Please fill out the Field Travel Plan Form before you leave.)
- General Field Safety Class
- Driver's Safety Class - contact Environmental Health, Safety, and Risk Management (EHS&RM) (x5413)
- First Aid and CPR - contact Environmental Health, Safety, and Risk Management (EHS&RM) (x5413) or Red Cross (456-5937)
- Bear Safety and Firearms Use Class
- Boating Classes
(Please fill out and contact Jami Warrick, x5455, after the list is complete)
UAF Environmental Health, Safety, and Risk Management has developed a safety training program containing 5 core training modules that are now required for all UAF faculty, staff, and student employees. These training modules include:
- Emergency Action Plan (Building Specific)
- Employee Safety Orientation
- Hazard Communication GHS
- Office Safety (general)
- Slips, Trips and Falls
The first four modules can be accessed at http://uaf.edu/safety/training/required-training/.
The Emergency Action Plans (EAP) are building-specific. The plans for IAB faculty, staff, and students are located under the "Dept EAPs" tab. Read through the plan for each building in which you work. The associated quizzes can be taken here .
Employees are also now required to complete the following:
- Title IX (Sexual Misconduct) training
- Protection of Minors - Awareness
- Protection of Minors - UAF Policy and Reporting
Instructions for access to the above can be found at http://uaf.edu/safety/training/required-training/, toward the bottom of the page.
All persons working in a laboratory are also required to complete (at a minimum) the UAF Laboratory Safety training, UAF Hazardous Waste Management, and UAF Chemical Hygiene training. Specific job duties may require further training.
All required laboratory training can be accessed at http://uaf.edu/safety/training/required-lab-worker-train/ .
- Arctic Health Research Building Emergency Action Plan
- Irving I Emergency Action Plan
- Murie Building Emergency Action Plan
- West Ridge Research Building Emergency Action Plan
- IAB Greenhouse Emergency Action Plan
Read through the plan for each building in which you work. Please take the IAB Department Emergency Action Plan quizzes here.
UAF Environmental Health, Safety, and Risk Management
- EHS&RM Index of Services
- Origami Online Incident Reporting
- UAF Safety Training
- Required Laboratory Worker training
- UA Transportation Safety Guide
- EHSRM - Forms/Documents
Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA)
Upcoming Trainings & Workshops
- Nothing scheduled at this time.